Wednesday, June 17, 2009

High Up in the Mountains

I've just come back from a small town high in the mountains. Kenscoff is east of Port au Prince, and up a lot of switchbacks from Petionville, which is already up above Port au Prince. It is just beautiful:  Cool, green, rainy. Not what I've become used to! The mountains are so high that the clouds can surround you when you walk. 
On the way uphill, during a walk yesterday, I had the pleasure of talking with 4 little kindergarten boys on their way to school. We begin in French "Are you kindergarteners?  Are you guys brothers or friends? Do you go to school together every day? Are the little girls (coming up the path) your sisters?"  They are not used to being interrogated like this on a Tuesday morning commute, so they are kind of shy. Stick with the video, and you will see them run down the hill. And I do mean down.
More on Kenscoff later.

1 comment:

  1. Liz!

    I am Grant R. Nieddu.
    I work with Community Partnership International. www.cpihaiti.org.

    I saw that you were now in Kenscoff! We are taking a team there in July. How long will you be there? What is the mission?

    ReplyDelete