Monday, February 16, 2009

The Caribbean, Take 2.

   On Sunday after he took us to see the land where he hopes to build a high school, Father Alcide stopped at this spot on the Caribbean.  A woman named Roselande lives there with her family, and I asked if I could come again sometime and she said yes, so I'm going to try!
   You can see in the lower right, we are up on a seawall.  Sister Mary said that after the hurricanes (I don't know if it was this past year or previous ones) they built this seawall to protect the houses here.  So I checked it out, and I am pretty sure that I will be able to get down there and wet my toes in the Caribbean one of these days.  Sister, on the other hand, felt that her climbing days were over and she remarked, "We're miles from the beach, here!"


  In this picture of Sister Mary, you can see the port of Saint Marc in the background.  That is where Sister and I were last Sunday.  And now, back at the port, here is a picture of the huge patio behind the old hotel.  Can you see why I think Digicell needs to fix this up and open it to the townspeople?  Maybe since they don't use it they could lease it to a business person who could open it up as a café.  Couldn't you see yourself here, sipping a glass of tea?  And it is behind a building that faces the Place, the one-block park that is the center of town.  So it is centrally located and has all that going for it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment