Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Harsh Realities

I have mentioned how out front is a big bus stop, essentially.  'Tap taps' are pickup trucks- often Toyotas- with a narrow benches on either side for those lucky enough to board early enough to get a seat. After that, it's SRO as they fill in the middle and sometimes you will see people and things on the roof of the cab. The notion of a small pickup being a half ton truck is an absurdity.
So there is a continual coming and going in front of school.  Just moments ago, I heard a pig squealing and screaming.  Those of you who know me know I could very easily turn vegetarian, especially if I had to have anything to do with the killing end of the meat preparation.  I really thought this hog was being butchered right there by the charcoal sellers.  I went reluctantly over to the window and looked out and realized the guy was tying the hog up to take it home on the tap tap.  Either he bought it at the market, or he brought it to town and didn't get the price he was hoping for.  
So.  I am so glad he didn't butcher the hog before the gates of the school. AND I am also glad that I am not riding home in a tap tap with an unhappy pig screaming at my feet.  And since this particular pig has caught my interest, I will send up a wish that it's a she, going home to her new home in the mountains, to live a long and happy life as a mommy pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment