Saturday, March 14, 2009

Baptism in the Courtyard

Today at 4PM a group of students who had been preparing for months was baptized in a very moving ceremony in the courtyard of the school. Dr. Mortel, who is a deacon in the Catholic church, officiated at the service. Haitians love celebrating their Christianity and this was a beautiful example. Here is a video I made of the opening procession. The choir is singing, "Je choisis de suivre tes pas, Jésus," I choose to follow you, Jesus. I love the last line of the chorus, "You loved me first." I know there are some French students reading this. The music is very clear, and if you would like the words to follow along, please write to me and I will be happy to send them to you. (Do not think for a minute that my French has become so good that I can just jot them down as I listen. I have them in the program that was handed out.)

     
     One of the seventh grade girls, Dieula, asked me to be her godmother, and I was happy to be able to say yes.  Her name, by the way, means "God is there." I just love her name.  What a beautiful, overwhelming thought to have, the moment you see your newborn baby: Look- This proves it! God is here.
Here is a picture of Dieula, beside me, and her foster sisters, Océanie, in the middle, and Adeline.  This is just after the baptism.

No comments:

Post a Comment