Saturday, March 28, 2009

Riding on a Tap Tap

On Saturday Widlyne asked me if I wanted to go see Fatima, a religious shrine by the sea. I told her I did, and I got to go on a tap tap for the first time.  If you come to Haiti you cannot help but be intrigued by the tap taps.  I will try to get a picture the next time I go on one.  Tap taps are old Toyota pickup trucks that are fitted out with two narrow benches, 6" planks, and iron railings, on either side of the bed. Some of them have a metal rack up in the front of the bed, above the cab, to hold large objects, packages or more people.  I have seen little signs, "Passengers look out for your things!" just like we have in our buses and subways back home.  There are often around twenty people in the back of a tap tap, and if space exists, more will hop on and stand on the bumper or sit up on the roof of the cab.
As we walked through the market to go out to Highway 1 where the southbound tap taps load, Widlyne said, first we must buy handkerchiefs.  We stopped at a stall and each got one; they were only 20 Gourdes. What  relief to be with a Haitian and just pay the normal price! 
The tap taps are famous for carrying severe overloads.  I am so glad I got to go on one with Widlyne; I got to check out the protocol.  Here are some do's and don'ts:  
  • Have a handkerchief handy to cover up your mouth and nose for when the road is unpaved or nearby vehicles are spewing excessive fumes. Also remember to cover your hair, if that is a priority for you.  
  • If the tap tap is almost full, don't get on it. (Here's where I would have been really stupid and figured that was just my lot in life that day.) You'll be standing in the middle, bouncing off the others with nowhere to hold on, if you take a middle spot.
  • Try to be one of the first ones on and get a seat. Even if it means you don't get to leave for another 20 minutes. There's always another tap tap.
  • Sit in the middle of the bench; let others sit on either side of you. You're going to be tight on that bench, at least six of you side by side, more likely seven. Best not to be on the end.
  • You pay when you get there, but check out the price before you get in.
  • Hang on tight; springs and shocks are on their last legs on a tap tap.
  • There are no age limits!  You should see some of the elderly people getting on and off the tap taps.  

No comments:

Post a Comment