Monday, April 27, 2009

But it's So Salty!

  Yesterday Sister Mary and I went to the beach at Paradise for the morning.  She got to walk up and down and get her feet wet, for the first time in forever. She is Irish and loves the sea, but here in St.-Marc going to the beach is just not very popular.  So while she was walking, I was swimming and thinking to myself how, last Sunday at this time, I was swimming up north at Labadie.  
  There was an American voice I kept hearing, who kept repeating, "It's salty!  Why is it so salty?" Then I heard him say something about Labadie. So I swam over to his group to say hi, and asked him if he had been there. "I want to go there. I've heard it's nice. -- But is it salty like this?"
   He was serious! I said, "Where are you from, anyway?"  Turns out he grew up in Colorado and this was his first time swimming in the ocean! He was probably 30 years old.  He was Haitian American, and his parents immigrated to the U.S. when he was young. 
   Intellectually, he had to have known it, don't you think? But until he tasted it himself he never actually realized what it meant.  He truly was amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment