Thursday, May 21, 2009

An Unexpected Visitor

The other night about 10PM I wanted a drink of water.  As there was no electricity, I decided to go downstairs in the dark by using the handrail.   (I know, I know. Well, it won't happen again.)  When I went to open the iron gate I keep closed at the top of the stairs, Something in the dark hopped up and scrabbled all around my ankle, I jumped and yelped and then It flew into my room, where I could hear it banging around in the dark.
I decided it must be a bat; it was probably exhausted from trying to get out of the stairwell, and was just laying there catching its breath and making a getaway plan. Now, what to do? I had left my flashlights in my room, where the "bat" was now residing.
Wilson to the rescue. God love that man. This is not the first time that I got him out of bed at night with a problem real or imagined. And he has always been very phlegmatic and kind, even though we do not speak each others' language.
So Wilson came upstairs to the apartment, we went into my room and got two flashlights and we looked all over for a bat. Nothing. I decided I was safe under my mosquito netting, and Wilson went back to his place.  In the night, I was awakened by the sound of it flinging itself against the windowscreen. It did sound large for a bat, but I couldn't imagine what else could be bouncing off the walls like it seemed to be doing.  After I heard it trying to escape, once everything was silent, I got up and took down one of the screens in the hopes it would fly away.
In the morning we joked about it, and I told Wilson and Meritesse I thought it must have gotten away. Then, in the afternoon, I went into the back of my closet for something- and here was this little cat sitting on a shelf! 
Was he ever happy to get outside again.  And was I ever glad that I was not going to be surprised by finding a bat hiding inside one of my shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment